St Augustine of Canterbury has a job vacancy for a new part-time (12 hours a week) bilingual, Secretary.
The job description is provided below.
Title: Secretary (Bilingual)
Start Date: 05th January 2022
Expiry Date: 15th January 2022
Purpose and Scope
To support the Parish in its mission, this part time position reports directly to the Pastor and performs a variety of secretarial and duties for the parish with limited supervision.
Essential Job Functions – Accounting
Keeps a record of all financial transactions for the parish, including:
- Prepares bank deposits, records receipts and deposits all income to appropriate accounts at least weekly when needed.
- Keeps current on all accounts payable and receivable.
- Ensures the existence of a verifiable audit trail for all financial transactions
- Maintains required property and other insurance records
- Processes payments to vendors and others
- Administers and controls the petty cash and designated funds, and all checking and savings, and investment accounts.
- Assures that all expenses are controlled within budgetary constraints and forecasts.
- Posts weekly and other donations in the Epsila software and generates the annual income tax receipts
- The bookkeeping and financial reports will be done by another person based on information provided by the secretary.
Essential Job Functions - Secretarial
· Performs secretarial duties for the Parish. This could include but not necessarily be limited to:
- Receives and places telephone calls and e-mails to support Parish activities.
- Maintains calendar, arranges meetings and schedules appointments, conferences, etc.
- Manages room bookings
- Prepares written communications using word processing applications
- Prepares and prints weekly bulletin
- Prepares the “Prayers for the Faithful” for Sunday mass
- Develops and maintains office record-keeping and sacramental and financial filing systems
· Maintains Mass calendar.
· Schedules and assigns projects as requested by the Pastor.
· Coordinates administrative activities as required with church groups.
· Manages office supplies and equipment.
· Updates records with the Registraire des Entreprises Quebec as required.
· Look up and preparation of certificates for the sacraments when requested.
Additional Job Functions
· Performs any job-related tasks necessary for the smooth flow of operations within the parish.
· Contributes to team effort for a professional office environment.
· Maintains and demonstrates a cooperative attitude and effective working relationship with all departments, church groups, employees, volunteers and parishioners.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
· Working knowledge of office management, word/data processing, and secretarial procedures.
· Working knowledge of general bookkeeping and accounting practices using automated and computerized accounting systems.
· Working knowledge of general payroll practices using automated payroll systems.
· Ability to maintain up-to-date knowledge of diocesan financial policies and procedures.
· Proficient typing skills and working experience of computer software (Micro Soft Office Suite, Epsila software for donations presently in use at the parish.
· Ability to work under pressure, manage multiple projects simultaneously and handle stressful situations.
· Ability to make job related decisions quickly and communicate these decisions effectively.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Ability to set priorities and organize work effectively.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality.
· Ability to communicate effectively in both the English and French languages.
· Knowledge of Catholic Church teachings and practices.
· Exercise courtesy to fellow employees, parishioners and the general public.
· Ability to successfully pass a background, criminal history, and credit history check.
· CEGEP diploma or equivalent.
· Education in bookkeeping.
· Three years working experience in a related position.
· Must be fully bilingual, written and spoken, in English and French.